Click Below to Listen Now
BC 48: Dr Siobhan Schabrun- Non-invasive brain stimulation for the treatment of headache
13, Feb, 2019
Today’s topic is the relationship of new technology with non – invasive brain stimulation and headache?
Associate Professor Siobhan Schabrun is a Senior Research Scientist at Neuroscience Research Australia. She has an undergraduate degree in physiotherapy and a PhD in neuroscience. She leads a research team that investigates the role of brain plasticity in chronic pain and designs and tests new brain-based therapies for the treatment of pain.
- What is non-invasive brain stimulation?
- Two main techniques are available for human brain stimulation are transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS) and transcranial current stimulation (tCS). Whats the difference between these two approaches and how do they work?
- The traditional definition of an invasive procedure, one which requires an incision or insertion in the body,can have safety issues. Is non-invasive brain stimulation safe?
- What do we know about the role of the brain in chronic headache?
- What is the evidence for the use of non-invasive brain stimulation in headache?
- What is the evidence for the use of non-invasive brain stimulation in chronic pain?
- Where is your research heading,Siobhan ? Is there a way to translate your research into clinical practice?
- What can we expect from you with your talk at the upcoming NeuroLogic education seminar – Integrative therapies for headaches and migraines
1.A/Prof Schabrun leads a program of research that spans the pipeline from basic science to clinical trials and clinical translation. Her team is always looking for passionate and talented individuals to contribute to research in the field of chronic pain
2.Siobhan is also a speaker at NeuroLogic Education next seminar event : Integrative Therapies for Headache and Migraine from 1stto 3rdMarch 2019 at CQU at 400 Kent St Sydney with details at https://neurologiceducation.com.au/event_landing/integrative-therapies-headache-migraine/
Share This Episode
Share this episode with your family and friends.