Self Love Podcast
Click Below to Listen Now!
SLP 118: SL Quicky – Your Shampoo Could Be Making You Fat
14, Oct, 2021
Your Shampoo Could Be Making You Fat!
Did you know that women expose themselves to over 200 chemicals a day just through their personal care products alone? When you look at what is in a body wash, shampoo, conditioner, hair-care products, deodorant, body lotion, face creams, makeup and perfume you can see how it adds up.
In the USA alone there are over 80,000 synthetic chemicals with over 1000 each year being added in. Many so-called experts say these chemicals are in small doses, within ‘safe’ limits and cannot hurt you. Research to date shows otherwise.
As a nation, we are fatter and sicker than we have ever been. Approximately 35% of people are considered obese (usually defined as a BMI over 30%) as opposed to 13% some fifty years ago. Sadly childhood obesity has trebled in the past three decades. There are a further 34% who are considered overweight. Just looking at these figures means over 70% of our population is struggling with weight issues that simply were not there three or four decades ago.
Emerging evidence suggests that a more sinister reason than food and activity could be contributing to weight problems and that so-called ‘chemical calories’ lurking in everyday beauty products such as shampoo, body lotions and soap could also be blamed.
The term for these chemicals that cause weight issues are obesogens. They have the ability to alter fat metabolism and promote fat retention. There are twenty classified obesogens including Bisphenol-A (BPA’s), dioxins, fructose, Perfluorooctanoic Acid (PFA’s or Teflon), nicotine, Atrazine (herbicide/pesticide), MSG, parabens and phthalates.
Sadly we cannot avoid all of these chemicals completely but we can reduce our exposure to them. Eating as much real and organic food will help reduce your chemical intake but choosing your personal care products carefully is also very important. Anything you place on your skin is absorbed so make sure you choose chemical-free. The science against them is strong.
Ten Ways To Drop The Chemical Calories
- Eat and juice more organic fruits and vegetables – especially green leafy veges.
- Keep the home well ventilated allowing any polluted air to circulate and leave the home.
- Connect with nature. If you can’t get outside and walk barefoot on the grass, walk the beach or in a forest then increase your use of essential oils as these help soak up airborne chemicals and increase negative ions.
- Keep the bathroom, laundry and kitchen as chemical-free as possible. Check the ingredients. Use things like bicarb soda, vinegar and essential oils as your cleaning products.
- Avoid as much plastic as possible. Use glass or ceramic to store your food and drink from. Or at least go BPA free.
- Use flowers from your garden as opposed to bought ones as many are sprayed with herbicides and pesticides.
- Store foods (particularly fatty foods) in glass or ceramic as fats act as magnets for chemical calories.
- Avoid using microwaves especially with plastic containers or wraps.
- Eat more good fat like butter, coconut oil, cold pressed vegetable and nut oils. Without these fats the skin may feel challenged and many end up lathering (unknowingly) more toxins onto the skin with chemically laden skincare products.
- Avoid products with these ingredients – perfume, fragrance, parabens, DEA, PEG or Sodium Lauryl Sulphate.
Go to twenty8.com for all your skincare needs! I am so grateful to you!
SELF LOVE PODCAST SPONSOR LINKS
THANKYOU FOR LISTENING… If you would like to share your feedback on this podcast please head to my Facebook and Instagram pages below. Thanks so much if you take the time to give me a 5-star rating on iTunes so that others find this podcast easily and I sincerely appreciate all of your feedback and comments. It makes it all worthwhile as I know this podcast can plant a seed where big things can indeed grow!
BRAND NEW ‘ESSENTIAL SELF CARE WEEKEND’ LIVE EVENT with Kim Morrison
Immerse yourself in a whole weekend for you, dive into the powers of your physical, mental and emotional wellbeing and how essential oils can create magic and change in your life. Learn the importance of self-care and what it means to indulge and recharge every day… after all you deserve it!
Click here for more information and locations for your Standard or VIP ticket – https://twenty8.com/events-and-workshops/
Twenty8 Essentials – https://twenty8.com/
Discount Code for SLP Listeners – selflovepodcast
Self-Love & Wellness Mentoring Program – https://www.kimmorrisontraining.com/
Essential Oils 101 Program – https://www.kimmorrisontraining.com/essential-oil-101
Kim Morrison Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/kimmorrison28/
Kim Morrison Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/KimMorrisonTraining
MUSIC INTRO & OUTRO
Many thanks to Wes and Charlotte Carr – https://wesleydeanmusic.com/
Share This Episode
Share this episode with your family and friends.