Straight Talking Natural Health
Click Below to Listen Now
STNH 13: Tara Nelson – Why so many thyroid disorders are going undiscovered and poorly treated
25, Sep, 2019
“Every cell and tissue in the body requires thyroid hormone. So it’s massive.”
Meet Tara Nelson, an outspoken and passionate naturopath who wants to set you straight on thyroid disorders.
Tara is based in Western Australia with over 24 years of clinical experience. After many years of seeing loads of thyroid conditions in her clinic, she went into research further education in order to create better outcomes in her most complex patients. She has gone on to write a thyroid recovery program she shares online and with her patients, and she also offers a 6 week online practitioner thyroid training program which she runs twice a year to educate practitioners in thyroid health.
But most of all she is on a mission to bring awareness and education to the public and practitioner community alike about the importance of thyroid health on a deeper level.
“I was looking at all the pathology results, and on paper they were ok, but they still had all the symptoms… I was getting more and more of these people, and they weren’t getting the help they need.”
In this episode, we will cover:
- The definitions for hyperthyroisidm, hypothyroidism, and autoimmune thyroid disorders like Graves and Hashimotos disease.
- The signs and symptoms of hyper and hypothyroidism.
- Nodules, swelling and other thyroid pathologies.
- Why so many cases of thyroid disorders are going undiagnosed.
- Why people may swing from hyper to hypothyroidism.
- The effect of stress and high cortisol on the thyroid.
- Which tests to ask for at your doctor.
- Why your GP might not have picked up your dodgy thyroid from a bog-standard TSH test.
- What the other thyroid markers mean, like T4, T3, and Reverse T3.
- Why you might still feel crap, even though you’re on thyroid medication.
- The best diet/s for thyroid disorders.
“You can still have thyroid autoimmune disease, such as Hashimotos or Graves, and still have a perfectly normal TSH.”
Want to find out more about Tara?
Check out her website here.
And her Facebook page here.
Want more of Jules?
Visit her website at http://julesgalloway.com.
Are you at risk of burnout? Take this quiz to find out.
Share This Episode
Share this episode with your family and friends.