The Healthy Shift Worker
Click Below to Listen Now
HSW 88: Sleep and Yoga with Dr Carmel Harrington and Jennie Blevins
29, Aug, 2019
When it comes to our health, there are many pillars, but none is more important than sleep – especially if you work 24/7!
So in today’s podcast, we’re talking with Dr Carmel Harrington who holds a PhD in Sleep Medicine from Sydney University, along with yoga instructor veteran Jennie Blevins on how a regular practice of yoga can be one of the best ways to foster better sleep.
In this episode we discuss:
- Why sleep is incredibly important for our health, yet many of us are not respecting it
- What areas of our health become affected by lack of sleep
- Why we need to be preserving, protecting and prioritizing our sleep as our life depends on it – because it quite literally does!
- How using yoga to support the nervous system can assist the body in drifting off to sleep
- Two yoga poses that are great to do prior to sleep to help reduce anxiety, switch off a racing mind, and calm a frazzled nervous system
- How to use yoga, movement and certain breathing practices to improve alertness and energy
Links mentioned on the podcast:
Dr Carmel Harrington’s website – http://www.sleepforhealth.net.au/
Jennie Blevin’s website – http://goulburnyoga.com.au/
Yoga & Sleep Workshop in Byron Bay (September 2019) – http://goulburnyoga.com.au/yoga-sleep-workshop-in-byron-bay/
Share This Episode
Share this episode with your family and friends.