The Healthy Shift Worker
Click Below to Listen Now
HSW 66: Addressing Fatigue with John Toomey
20, Sep, 2018
In today's show we're talking all things fatigue because let's face it, when we work 24/7, it forms a huge part of our way of life!
John Toomey is based in Melbourne, Australia and is affectionately known as 'The Fatigue Professor'. After completing a Physical Education degree in 1981, John worked for 7 AFL teams as a conditioning coach and/or nutritionist and has since written multiple books, e-books, published 100’s of articles, lectured in Universities and presented over 2000 seminars in workplaces across Australia and around the World. To say he's qualified to talk all things fatigue is a massive understatement!
In this episode John explains:
- How drinking water helps to reduce fatigue, by increasing blood volume and enhancing circulation
- The optimal amount of water intake required for every 25kgs of body weight
- How dehydration can prevent your core body temperature from dropping by 1 degree, preventing the body from acquiring that deep, restorative REM sleep
- Why resistance to being at work, creates even more fatigue than the work itself
- Why placing "intentions" at the beginning of your shift, can help to improve your energy
- How nourishing the microbiome in the gut, or gastrointestinal tract, with optimal nutrition also helps to increase energy levels
Links mentioned on the podcast:
The Wide Awake Program / App
Website - http://fatigueprofessor.com
To contact John - [email protected]
Share This Episode
Share this episode with your family and friends.
Audra Starkey interviews experts on sleep, nutrition, weight management, stress relief and all topics relevant to shift work health. This fun, informative and engaging podcast will leave you feeling inspired to truly be a healthy shift worker.