The Healthy Shift Worker
Click Below to Listen Now
HSW 66: Addressing Fatigue with John Toomey
20, Sep, 2018
In today’s show we’re talking all things fatigue because let’s face it, when we work 24/7, it forms a huge part of our way of life!
John Toomey is based in Melbourne, Australia and is affectionately known as ‘The Fatigue Professor’. After completing a Physical Education degree in 1981, John worked for 7 AFL teams as a conditioning coach and/or nutritionist and has since written multiple books, e-books, published 100’s of articles, lectured in Universities and presented over 2000 seminars in workplaces across Australia and around the World. To say he’s qualified to talk all things fatigue is a massive understatement!
In this episode John explains:
- How drinking water helps to reduce fatigue, by increasing blood volume and enhancing circulation
- The optimal amount of water intake required for every 25kgs of body weight
- How dehydration can prevent your core body temperature from dropping by 1 degree, preventing the body from acquiring that deep, restorative REM sleep
- Why resistance to being at work, creates even more fatigue than the work itself
- Why placing “intentions” at the beginning of your shift, can help to improve your energy
- How nourishing the microbiome in the gut, or gastrointestinal tract, with optimal nutrition also helps to increase energy levels
Links mentioned on the podcast:
The Wide Awake Program / App
Website – http://fatigueprofessor.com
To contact John – [email protected]
Share This Episode
Share this episode with your family and friends.