Woohoo! I’m so excited to air this episode because not only is today’s guest, Samantha Gowing, a Nutritionist, but she’s also spent decades working in the hospitality industry as a Chef, so she totally gets what it’s like to work shift work!
Sam is a Chef hat-winning restaurateur, who traded her fast-paced city career to follow her passion for health and wellbeing by retraining as a Clinical Nutritionist, and received further qualifications in Gastronomic Tourism from the prestigious, Le Cordon Bleu.
Prior to her wellness journey, she was a self-confessed coffee, cigarettes, vodka and pizza kind-a-girl who over time, worked out that a high carbohydrate diet was contributing to her expanding waistline whilst working 24/7.
Sam shares some wonderful nutritional tips to help those who work shift work including:
- Why we need to embrace more “liquid nutrition”, including juicing, smoothies and soups which can be defrosted quickly, and easily assimilated when we’re tired.
- Combing these with eating more locally produced, whole foods.
- Debunking the whole “superfoods” marketing spin.
- Why we need to have a healthy relationship with our kitchen!
- Her two favorite kitchen gadgets – the mandoline for slicing and a hand-held blender for dressings, sauces and seasonings.
- And much, much more!
Sam’s bright and bubbly personality shone throughout this entire podcast, so I’m sure you’ll enjoying listening to it just as much as I enjoyed recording it.
Links mentioned in the podcast: