The Healthy Shift Worker
Click Below to Listen Now
HSW 29: Cooking and Shift Work Nutrition with Spa Chef and Clinical Nutritionist Samantha Gowing.
22, Feb, 2017
Woohoo! I’m so excited to air this episode because not only is today’s guest, Samantha Gowing, a Nutritionist, but she’s also spent decades working in the hospitality industry as a Chef, so she totally gets what it’s like to work shift work!
Sam is a Chef hat-winning restaurateur, who traded her fast-paced city career to follow her passion for health and wellbeing by retraining as a Clinical Nutritionist, and received further qualifications in Gastronomic Tourism from the prestigious, Le Cordon Bleu.
Prior to her wellness journey, she was a self-confessed coffee, cigarettes, vodka and pizza kind-a-girl who over time, worked out that a high carbohydrate diet was contributing to her expanding waistline whilst working 24/7.
Sam shares some wonderful nutritional tips to help those who work shift work including:
- Why we need to embrace more “liquid nutrition”, including juicing, smoothies and soups which can be defrosted quickly, and easily assimilated when we’re tired.
- Combing these with eating more locally produced, whole foods.
- Debunking the whole “superfoods” marketing spin.
- Why we need to have a healthy relationship with our kitchen!
- Her two favorite kitchen gadgets – the mandoline for slicing and a hand-held blender for dressings, sauces and seasonings.
- And much, much more!
Sam’s bright and bubbly personality shone throughout this entire podcast, so I’m sure you’ll enjoying listening to it just as much as I enjoyed recording it.
Links mentioned in the podcast:
Share This Episode
Share this episode with your family and friends.
Audra Starkey interviews experts on sleep, nutrition, weight management, stress relief and all topics relevant to shift work health. This fun, informative and engaging podcast will leave you feeling inspired to truly be a healthy shift worker.