Click Below to Listen Now
BC 23: WAYNE SCHWASS – THE IMPORTANCE OF AN AUTHENTIC MINDSET TO COMBAT CLINICAL DEPRESSION
25, May, 2016
Biography of Wayne Schwass Retired Elite AFL Athlete
Wayne played 282 games for the Kangaroos and Swans, spanning a fifteen year AFL career from 1988 to 2002. Wayne was a premiership player with the Kangaroos in 1996 and won two best and fairest for the Kangaroos in 1994 and 1995 and for the Swans in 1999. He was in the Team of the century for the Kangaroos and was an All Australian in 1999.
Wayne also suffered from clinical depression for most of his career. Wayne is candid, real, open book and articulate about what needs to be done to get through depression.
Some points discussed:
- Overcoming the fallacy that men don’t cry is a badge of honour.
- Working through denial and stigma associated with this condition.
- The epiphany that changed Wayne’s life and helped help get on the road to seek help. Wayne opened up which he says – “was one of the greatest things of his life.”
- We have called this podcast – The importance of an authentic mindset. Wayne explains the role of being authentic here.
- Three take home tips
- Ask for help
- Don’t live a lie
- Be authentic
- For more help with mental health, please contact:
Beyond Blue https://www.beyondblue.org.au and call 1300 22 46 36
Wayne has been very honest and transparent in this podcast. If this has created some deep emotions, Lifelines phone for immediate support is 13 11 14 in Australia.
For overseas listeners, please check your directory for an equivalent support number.
Share This Episode
Share this episode with your family and friends.
BACKchat is hosted by chiropractors Dr. Paul Bergamo, Kelly Holt and Kim Fenton, empowering you to live to your true health potential. We discuss the 5 pillars of health: “Thinking, Eating, Moving, Sleeping and your Neurology.”