Quirky Cooking Chats
Click Below to Listen Now
AQJ 151: Finding Positivity in the Midst of Crisis
17, Jan, 2020
In our first episode for 2020, we (Jo and Fouad) chat about how we are working to begin the year with positivity, in the midst of a national crisis and all the stress that involves. In Australia, we are struggling to cope with high temperatures and drought in many parts of the country, which have contributed to the worst and most wide-spread bushfires on record. Fouad’s family have evacuated their home six times so far this season. We are feeling the stress of the constant barrage of bad news everywhere we look – social media, tv, newspapers, online news – and we know we are not the only ones suffering from feelings of overwhelm, anxiety and helplessness. What can we do to help our families and communities through this difficult time?
Listen in as we talk about:
- the pros and cons of being so “connected” online
- the conflict of wanting to know what’s going on without becoming overwhelmed and desensitized by it all
- how to mindfully consume news without getting sucked into the vortex of tabloid news addiction
- our coping mechanisms in times of stress
- what kinds of foods and herbs are helpful for boosting immunity and reducing the stress on our bodies
- how to teach kids a positive outlook in life during difficult times
- what we are doing to make a difference
- how you can help even if you don’t live in affected areas
- and how the simple act of showing kindness can begin a ripple effect that changes the world around us.
We are also offering to replace Life-Changing Food cookbooks that have been lost in bushfires – please contact us at [email protected] with your details if you would like to apply for a replacement copy.
[Photo: Our friend Elyse and her son at the beach, surrounded by smoky skies]
- Listen to a great podcast by Marcus Pearce on mindful news consumption: News stories are like sugar – a limitless amount will never nourish you
- Get some ideas from the Functional Nutritionist for ways to support your health when being exposed to bushfire smoke
- And also from Nourish Melbourne for Asthma and Respiratory Support
- Read this post by Jo about the importance of showing kindness to one another at this time
Share This Episode
Share this episode with your family and friends.